Thursday, October 30, 2008

Where's a leprechaun when you need one...

One day at work on the mountain last winter, after I finished making a man's latte, I handed it to him and wished him good luck out on the slopes. This was a most unlucky thing for me to say, because he turned to me, and in a Dear Wayward Daughter voice proceeded to explain to me for ONE WHOLE HOUR about how there is no such thing as luck because God exists. Now, I am a (fairly) devout Christian, but I do believe in the existence of Lady Luck; she's like one of God's sidekicks (along with Mother Nature, Father Christmas, and Uncle Sam).
I jest. I am a jester. But why not believe in luck and God? Where is the disconnect? For me, superstition is another way to worship, and therefore knocking on wood three times is prayer. I jest.
All this is to say, our luck has been decidedly bad lately. Taylor got poisoned pretty severely by carbon monoxide at the remote lodge we were caretaking, which resulted in two emergency evacuations from the lodge (one in a helicopter, no less), and us having to Regretfully Resign from the posts of caretakers (he's still sick, and might be for a long while).
Now, you might be wondering, what does it take to get to ride in a helicopter in the middle of the night? I'll tell you! You have to almost die! And while this story is more like a saga and far to long to explain, the long and the short of it is we are heading back to our dear state of Oregon for the winter.
Taylor and I are People Who Plan, and this was obviously not in our plans. We are depressed, but not defeated. And in the spirit of feeling like winners, not losers, we are determined to Make Light of the situation- so enjoy:
When we came in to the emergency room by helicopter, we convinced the paramedics and the pilots to let us bring Moma along for the ride, and then she hung out in the ER with us for hours while Taylor got worked over by the doctors. She slept, and spied on the nurses:
Because we thought Taylor was having a heart attack (for reals here, no jesting at all), he got to sport this fancy heart monitor for a whole day. He gets to do all the fun things:
So, while we are disappointed, we are not dead, which was a real possibility out there. That was good luck and Godly intervention combined, and we are thankful.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my Adalie! I've been reading your blog regularly for a few months now. I'm so sorry to hear you had to abandon the wintery wilds of Alaska.

I hope he turns out alright.

<3
-Julia

Elizabeth said...

I am so glad you are both alive. So, so glad.

Also, that pie from the last post makes me want to die. Will you come to Spokane and make me one of those, and maybe some bread?

I miss you!