Saturday, June 28, 2008

Fun in Kayaks.

Here's a long one!
My lack of writing on this blog is all due to the fact that we have had a full house of guests every night the last three weeks- and I don't mind admitting that entertaining so many people is exhausting. But before we this string of people, I got to guide a group of ladies on a Kenai Fjords National Park tour, and then out to our company's Adventure Camp- a sea kayaking camp located on the edge of this great little cove.
Driving twelve ladies all together requires a pretty big vehicle, and so I was lucky enough to drive this enormous thing of beauty. It can be said that Taylor was more than nervous about me driving so many people so far (he was taking into consideration my high school vote as Worst Driver), but I performed admirably, all things considering- the bus did start puffing black smoke, and the steering wheel was all loosey goosey.:
Then we all hopped on a catamaran to see the glaciers and animals of the park. I was really hoping this piece of the glacier would calve when we were there, but no such luck:

I like AC so much, here are two different views of the place:
Kate, the manager of AC, is one of our best friends here. She's one of the most inventive people we know, and one of the only people I could see easily surviving in the wilderness. Here she is chopping up kindling with her knife, because the hatchet had broken:
When Kate and I took the ladies out sea kayaking, I played the role of sweeper in the back, making sure no one floated out to sea. I was paddling along, and all of a sudden I hear all this snorting and snuffling right behind my boat. I turned around and there was this really, really big sea lion! He, or she, dinked around my boat for a while, but moved away quite a bit by the time I retrieved my camera from the depths of my kayak:
And, finally, here's a picture of me, taken by me, with Resurrection Bay in the background:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This blog kicks serious A!