Saturday, March 1, 2008

Oh, to be an adventurous old lady!

It has been so long (21 days) since I last communicated with the World Wide Blogosphere that I am half-ashamed. But only half.
Moma, our fine furried friend, is a truly awesome animal. Look at this picture and see the truth of that statement. Not much is better than a sleeping puppy posing as a praying mantis:
We've been spending a lot of time cross-country skiing. There are only a few trails around here that dogs are allowed on legally, and one of them has a waterfall as a destination.
One of the best things about going out and skiing is that we have met a lot of really sweet old ladies and their equally sweet dogs- one such Grand Dame is 84 years old, has a bum knee, and still goes skiing almost every day. We first met her right near this waterfall:
Long before Christmas Taylor and I made up this really fantastic package and sent it to our just-as-fantastic friends, Scott and Claire, who are living in Italy for a year or so. And two days ago, we got it back. What the devil is that all about?! The stamp on the package said the address was wrong- but it isn't because they received a letter we sent them! Those Italians are just plain nutters!
So, dear Claire and Scott, here is a picture of what international mail did to your Christmas present, and we are saving it for you until you get back:
Also, as I am sure most of you are aware, there was a total eclipse of my heart... and also the moon.
And I need you now tonight, And I need you more than ever...

Your love is like a shadow on me all of the time
I don't know what to do and I'm always in the dark

We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks
I really need you tonight
Forever's gonna start tonight
:
Going to the library is, and always has been, one of my favorite things to do. All the long aisles with high bookshelves, and the millions of options, and the collective smell of thousands of books- it's all so comfortable. Taylor and I have totally raided our library's collection of falconry guides (Taylor), how-to books on the art of composting toilets (both of us), and great novels by Margaret Atwood, Roald Dahl, and Julia Alvarez (me):
Squirrel says, "Howdy-doo-dee, friends, neighbors, and countrymen. I'm a reading fool!"

No comments: